Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Tribute To Eric James Borges. RIP



A gay teenager who committed suicide earlier this month claimed he had an exorcism performed on him by his Christian parents before they kicked him out of the house. 
Eric James Borges, 19, took his own life on January 14 after suffering years of physical and verbal abuse at school and rejection from his 'extremist' family who made him leave home for being gay.
A friend read from the suicide note he left at one of several memorial services held for the young man in San Joaquin Valley, California last week. In it, he thanked friends for their love and support and mentioned Lady Gaga for being 'a fearless, relentless, proud LGBT advocate'.
Scroll down for video
Tragedy: Eric James Borges, 19, who took his own life in California, paid tribute to Lady Gaga in his suicide note for being 'relentless advocate' for LGBT teenagers
Tragedy: Eric James Borges, 19, who took his own life in California, paid tribute to Lady Gaga in his suicide note for being 'relentless advocate' for LGBT teenagers
San Diego Gay & Lesbian News writer Melanie Nathan read from the teenager's note, which said: 'My pain is not caused because I am gay. My pain was caused by how I was treated because I am gay.'
'To my friends you gave me life and love, never think this was your fault...To Lady Gaga, you have been a fearless relentless proud LGBT advocate...'
Mr Borges, known as EricJames to friends, interned at the Trevor Project advocacy group for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth which aims to intervene and prevent suicide. 
The teenager was an aspiring filmmaker who produced a short piece titled Invisible Creatures last year. Around a month ago he filmed It Gets Better, which he posted on YouTube telling other young people who are bulled because of their sexuality not to give up hope. 
He revealed in his video that he was estranged from his family after he came out - his mother having performed an exorcism on him in a bid to 'cure' him, before he was told to leave home.
Fragile: Just weeks before he took his own life, Eric James Borges, 19, posted a YouTube video inspiring other LGBT youths to be strong
Fragile: Just weeks before he took his own life, Eric James Borges, 19, posted a YouTube video inspiring other LGBT youths to be strong
Suffered: Eric James Borges, who made films, was presecuted at school and kicked out by his family after he came out
Laura McGinnis, the Communications Director at The Trevor Project, called Borges' suicide a 'tragedy' and released a statement earlier this month, saying: 'We are deeply saddened to hear about the tragic death of EricJames Borges, and our hearts go out to his family and friends, and his community.
Fierce: Lady Gaga has visited the White House in support of young people who are bullied because of their sexual orientation
Fierce: Lady Gaga has visited the White House in support of young people who are bullied because of their sexual orientation
'EricJames was a dedicated, trained volunteer. Our main concern right now is that those affected by his death feel supported and can get the care they need.'
In It Gets Better, Borges speaks frankly of being tormented throughout his brief life, saying he was 'physically, mentally, emotionally and verbally assaulted on a day-to-day basis'.
He explained: 'I was raised in an extremist Christian household. My earliest recollections of my experience with the relentless and ongoing bullying was in kindergarten, but of course to a lesser degree.
'Throughout elementary, junior high and high school it got progressively worse. I was physically, mentally, emotionally and verbally assaulted on a day-to-day basis for my perceived sexual orientation.
''I had nowhere safe to go, either at home or school... My parents told me that, among other things, I was disgusting, perverted, unnatural and damned to Hell. About two months ago they officially kicked me out of my house.
'My name was not Eric but "Faggot".
'I reached my limit when I was assaulted in a full classroom with a teacher present. I dropped out, went on independent studies, graduated early and started college.
'My mother knew I was gay and performed an exorcism on me in an attempt to cure me.
'My anxiety, depression, self-loathing and suicidal thoughts spiked.'
Poignant: Borges wrote under this Facebook photo: 'I am human. I am also spiritually, emotionally, and sexually attracted to men. I am OUT. It took courage, and it was all worth it'
Poignant: Borges wrote under this Facebook photo: 'I am human. I am also spiritually, emotionally, and sexually attracted to men. I am OUT. It took courage, and it was all worth it'
Advocacy: Mr Borges, known as EricJames to friends, interned at the Trevor Project advocacy group for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth which aims to intervene and prevent suicide
Advocacy: Mr Borges, known as EricJames to friends, interned at the Trevor Project advocacy group for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth which aims to intervene and prevent suicide
But Borges' message to other teenagers was clear: 'I know it is hard, and I know what it feels like to be rejected and abused for your biological sexual orientation.
'And I know what it feels like to live in a world of government-sanctioned homophobia. But I refuse to be treated as a second-class citizen.'
Poignantly, given the circumstances of his death, Borges ends his video with a message of hope and encouragement, saying: 'You have an entire life fit to burst with opportunities ahead of you. 
'Don't ever give up, and don't ever for one second think that you're not a valuable and beautiful contribution to this world.'
Fan: Jamey Rodemeyer loved Lady Gaga and left a thank you to her as one of his last postings before he killed himself last year
Fan: Jamey Rodemeyer loved Lady Gaga and left a thank you to her as one of his last postings before he killed himself last year
Last year a 14-year-old boy who blogged about being suicidal due to incessant bullying at school thanked Lady Gaga in his final post before killing himself.
Jamey Rodemeyer, from Buffalo, New York, posted a lyric from Lady Gaga's song The Queen on his Facebook page which said: 'Don't forget me when I come crying to heaven's door.'
He then posted a tribute to Lady Gaga, thanking her. 
The singer visited the White House and met Obama administration staff to discuss bullying prevention last month.
Obama senior adviser Valerie Jarrett praised the star as 'a source of strength for many young people who feel isolated and scared at their schools'.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

My Social Network